Newcastle 1 United 0 - Post-Match Fascinating Facts
The result at St James Park wasn`t what Manchester United supporters had been expecting.
Newcastle`s home form suggested that Manchester United would take the three points on offer. But that didn`t prove to be the case with the Geordies celebrating a rare victory over Manchester United.
Following the 1-0 loss, courtesy of a goal for Matt Ritchie, we`ve cobbled together a few fascinating facts.
• St James Park is an unlucky ground for Jose Mourinho, in 7 visits there he`s never won, losing 4 and drawing 3.
• The defeat means that Mourinho has lost 6 times against Rafael Benitez in all competitions, only against Pep Guardiola has he lost more, 9.
• The win was Newcastle`s first in 9 Premier League home games having lost 5 and drawn 3 since beating Crystal Palace back in October.
• The 2016 / 2017 season saw Manchester United lose 5 Premier League games all season, they have already lost 5 this season.
• Manchester United have conceded the opening goal on 9 occasions in the Premier League this season, they`ve only recovered to win on 1 instance losing 5 of the others and drawing the remaining 4. The one win came, co-incidentally, against Newcastle at Old Trafford.
• The referee booked Chris Smalling for simulation, in doing so Smalling became the third Manchester United to be booked for that offence this season, following in the footsteps of Antonio Valencia and Ander Herrera, that figure of 3 is a joint high with Bournemouth.