Writer: Site Staff
Date:Tuesday May 11 2010
Manchester United striker receives award for the first time -
Wayne Rooney has been named Barclays Player of the Season for 2009/10, after a prolific campaign in which his goals and inspirational form have been one of the main reasons United maintained their Barclays Premier League title challenge until the final game of the season.
The England forward notched 26 goals in just 32 Barclays Premier League appearances, easily surpassing his previous best tally of 16 goals in the 2005/06 season.
Rooney has found the best form of his career this season, filling the void left by the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo from Old Trafford last summer. Memorable individual performances have included scoring all four goals in a 4-0 win over Hull City, and claiming his 100th Barclays Premier League career goal in a 3-1 victory at Arsenal.
This is the first time that the Manchester United striker has been named Barclays Player of the Season, and is the latest award in a growing list of accolades which also includes this season's Professional Footballers' Association and Football Writers' Association Player of the Year awards.
The decision was made by the Barclays Awards Panel, which includes representatives from football's governing bodies, the media and fans.
WAYNE ROONEY: BARCLAYS PLAYER OF THE SEASON 2009/10
* This season he has made 32 appearances scoring 26 goals
* He has made 256 appearances in the Barclays Premier League in total, scoring 106 goals
* On 31st August 2004, Rooney signed for Manchester United in a £25.6 million deal, the highest ever fee paid for a player under 20 years old
* Rooney made his United debut on the 28th September 2004, scoring a hat-trick in a 6-2 Champions League win over Turkish side Fenerbache
* Rooney made his league debut for Everton in 2002, five days before his seventeenth birthday against then reigning champions Arsenal. He scored the winning goal
* After excelling for Liverpool Schoolboys, Rooney was snapped up by Everton at the age of ten
* Wayne Rooney was born on 24th October 1985 in Croxteth, Liverpool
Date:Tuesday May 11 2010
A Bold Raid for Duo (Monday March 10 2014)
Welbeck in Top Form (Monday March 10 2014)
Crisis Meeting? (Monday March 10 2014)
Cavani In - Van Persie Out? (Sunday March 9 2014)
Young Turkish Star Linked to Old Trafford (Sunday March 9 2014)
United Tracking Arsenal Defender (Sunday March 9 2014)
Moyes Pleased With Attitude (Sunday March 9 2014)
Record Breaker Rooney (Saturday March 8 2014)
Stats: West Brom v United (Saturday March 8 2014)
West Brom 0 United 3 (Saturday March 8 2014)
|Crystal Palace||0||-||2||Man Utd|
|4. Man City||26||18||3||5||42||57|
|6. Man Utd||28||14||6||8||15||48|
» Hull City : 10/03/2014 21:50:00
|U21s Lose Foxey Seven Goal Thriller
» Aston Villa : 10/03/2014 21:13:00
|2012-13 RAL Accounts Explained A Bit Clearer
» Aston Villa : 10/03/2014 20:52:00
|What Went Wrong?
» Man City : 10/03/2014 20:48:00
|Liverpool: Reds Eye Austrian International
» Liverpool : 10/03/2014 20:36:00
|Summer Heralds hanges at the Bridge
» Chelsea : 10/03/2014 19:05:00
|Not what I wanted it to be!
» Chelsea : 10/03/2014 18:49:00