Five Reasons Why United Will Beat Bayern Tonight
I outlined why Bayern will beat Manchester United in tonight's Champions League quarter-final game. Now it's the other side: let's see what points to a United victory.
1) United are the better team. As simple as that. We have a bigger squad, a better first-team and we are superior to Bayern in almost every position.
2) The suspension of Bastian Schweinsteiger. One of the more impressive performers of Bayern's season, he is a vital component of their midfield and will be sorely missed.
3) Wayne Rooney. Need I say more?
4) Bayern's defence. It's been porous all season: Daniel van Buyten and Martin Demichelis are having a poor campaign, poor Holger Badstuber has to fill in at left-back even though he's a centre-back by trade while Philip Lahm is out of form and struggling at right-back. They should be vulnerable to the attacking trio of Valencia, Rooney and Nani.
5) Robben's injury problems and Ribery's lack of commitment. The former is nursing a calf injury while the latter looks like his heart is not in what he's doing. A CL quarter-final against United might rouse him sufficiently but at present it looks like neither of Bayern's most dangerous players will be at 100 percent.